Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The trek series that could have been ...

While Revenge of the Sith hogged most of the limelight as the great sci-fi story coming full circle, there was another story for some fans that was coming full circle. Another great sci-fi franchise recently torn to pieces by critics and fans that attempted to circle back to the present. Yep Star Trek Enterprise ended it's troubled four year run with a 2 hour long Friday showing.

I think fans of cult series like these are overly critical of the shows/movies. I know the new Star wars or the Enterprise did not live up to expectations of many but I think there were times when fans of these franchises would bitch about things without rhyme or reason. I think both, Star Trek-Enterprise and Star Wars I-III, were decent stories told nicely and I enjoyed of them. But I've already been to the galaxy far far away in one of my earlier posts. Lets come back to the alpha quadrant and to the United Federation of Planets.

I know Enterprise DID get boring for a while in between. They did not develop any major arc or storyline and the writers were going along with the "crisis of the week" thing. But to be very fair, every Trek series has done that. There are some very mediocre episodes in every series and on the flip-side some absolutely smashing ones. To the credit of Enterprise, it's final season (much like the final installment of Star Wars) was a pleasure to behold. It was one of the best seasons seen by the Trek franchise. And maybe the finale did notlive up to it, maybe it could have been made better by NOT including old characters and focusing on the story at hand, maybe even making it a two-parter. But the season on the whole was a thing of beauty and as I read someplace else, "a love song dedicated to the trekkies/trekkers" of the world. Every character showed a depth that is usually reserved for one or two in a series like this. The stories were nicely written and beautifully filmed. The actors too seemed to be having more fun than they had in previous seasons.

I know people are sad that Star wars ended. I also know there are people like me who are equally and maybe slightly more sad that Trek has come to a grinding halt for a while now. The last movie was not a success and this series did not live it's full life. Time for changes and reassessment. I do however hope that this crew of Enterprise gets a chance at a movie. I think they deserve it. I know Trek movies are generally not as big hits in theatres as Star Wars but they have an audience and some of it needs to be shown the way back to a theatre playing a good Trek movie.

Adios Enterprise, for now. You did not live long nor prosper, but you did go out with a silent flourish.

No comments: